Article 1 - Name
The name of the organization shall be “Tourist Guides'Federation of South India (TGFSI)”,(referred to
this document as “the Federation”).
Article 2 -Definition
The Federation shall be a non-profit - professional organization, dedicated to the promotion and
welfare of all the licensed guides in the Southern Region, It will act as a platform to maintain a
cordial relationship with India Tourism, Govt. of India, State Tourism Ministry and Other
Government Agencies and to maintain a good relationship with all Tourism stake holders and
tourism stakeholder's associations and to give high standards of training to Guides and maintain
ethics within the profession. The official language used by the Federation shall be English. Legal
documents shall be drawn up in the language of the state of the Secretariat. The Federation shall
not engage in political, religious or racial activities.
Article 3 - Aims
- To establish contact with Tourist Guides and Guides'Associations throughout South India,
to reinforce their professional ties and to promote and protect the interests of professional
- To address grievances and to seek redressal.
- To conduct lectures, refresher courses and educational trips within India and abroad
- To promote new destinations in south India
- To get proper guide / escort fees for guides and reduce exploitation of guides.
- To represent professional Tourist Guides and their Associations Nationally and
- To work for the improvement of the quality and reputation of the profession of Tourist
- To hold the Convention of Tourist Guides and the Associations at regular intervals.
Article 4 -Membership
- Individual Membership shall be open to all the Guides of the southern Region.(Tamil Nādu,
Kerala, Karnataka, Pondicherry, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh) who are approved
and authorized by India Tourism, Govt of India. The annual membership fee will be Rs. 1200/-
per annum / per person plus Rs 550 as one time joining fee for new members
- Members are entitled to participate in all activities of the Federation to benefit from the
facilities of the Federation and each member is entitled to have a single vote at the General
- Each member shall agree to abide by the Constitution and the resolutions made by the bodies
of the Federation, and to pay the annual membership subscription due of Rs. 1200/- on 1 April
every year. The members paying after 3 months (after 31st July) from the due date should pay a
Rs. 300/- over and above their subscription due.
- Membership will be deemed to have lapsed should a member fail to pay the membership
dues within the conditions laid down by the Executive Body. Membership may be withheld by a
decision of the Executive Body, ratified by the Arbitration Committee, should a member, in their
opinion, act contrary to the standards and aims of the Federation or in a manner damaging to the
reputation of the Federation. Membership may be terminated by a decision of the General Body.
- Affiliate Membership will be open to tourism-related organizations, whether governmental,
local authority or other officially funded or privately funded bodies involved at city,
national or international level with tourism-related activities. Affiliate Membership will also
open to education establishments, whether public or state controlled, or private fee-paying
institutions involved with training in any aspect of the tourism industry. Their suitability for
Membership will be approved by the Executive Body. Affiliate Members will receive the free
publication of the Federation. They may attend the Biennial Conventions as participants, paying
normal membership rate. Affiliate Members may be present as observers at training organized
by, or under the auspices of the Federation, if they are actively involved in an administrative
teaching capacity in schools for tourist guide training, although they may not be tourist
The annual Affiliate fee will be Rs. 1000, payable on April each year.
Article 5- Finance
Funds of the Federation will accrue from:
- Membership fees for individual membership and affiliate fees-to be paid annually as
recommended by the Executive Body and ratified by the General Body.
- Donations, bequests, subsidies from private or public organizations and through
advertisement in our web site, meetings, conventions Etc.
- A per capita payment, as agreed by the General Body, added to the fee for attending the
- The funds shall be kept in a suitable account or accounts, in a nationalized Bank as
decided by the Executive Body.
- Treasurer shall provide regular reports to the Executive Body at least once in 4 months and an
audited Balance Sheet and an income and expenditure Account to be presented at the Annual
Article 6- Composition
The Federation shall consist of:
- The General Body
- The Executive Body
- The Finance Committee
- The Arbitration Committee
Article 7- General Body
The General Body shall compromise of the fully paid-up members. It shall be convened by
the President in consultation with the Executive Body. An extraordinary meeting of the General
Body may be convened by the Executive Body, or on written demand required by one third of the
- Methods of voting in the General Body
- Only one vote per member may be cast, irrespective of the number of Associations
represented. The decisions of the General Body will be carried by a simple majority vote,
exception of changes to the Constitution which will require a two-thirds majority of those
and voting, and a quorum of 50% of the members. Voting shall be by a show of hands, unless a
secret ballot is required by any member.
No Delegate may hold more than one proxy, duly authorized in writing, in the
format of the federation.
- Functions of the General Body
- To receive the President's and Secretary's reports
- To approve the audited accounts of the Federation and receive the Treasurer's report on the
finances of the Federation;
- To approve membership fees until the next General Body;
- To consider the report of the Executive Body on its activities since the previous meeting
- To elect the office bearers the Executive Body
- To decide on the location and approximate date of the next Convention and Annual General
- To consider and approve proposals for action for the next two years
- To ratify termination of membership as recommended by the Executive Body
One Third of the Members present or represented shall constitute a quorum for any meeting of
the General Body. When no quorum is present, the President may postpone the meeting to a later
hour or date, when decisions may be taken by any number of Members present or represented.
- Rules of Procedure of Election for the Executive Body
- Election for the Executive Body will be every two years
- The tenure of the executive Body shall be 2 year period
- Only the founder members could be nominated for any post in the Executive Body, for the
terms that is till 2012.
- Founder members are those who become members of the federation after fulfilling the criteria
Article 4 and paying their subscription in full, on or before 31st July 2007.
- The candidates should send their nomination 21 days in advance to our secretarial office,
the attested copy of the valid Identity card issued by the “India Tourism” Govt of India.
- The nomination should be proposed by 3 voting Members and seconded by another 3 voting
with their valid attested copy of the valid Identity card issued by the “India Tourism” Govt
- In case of a withdrawal of the Nominations, it should be done 10 days prior to the Election
- The list of candidature will be communicated to all the members 7 days before the election
- The election process is only by secret Ballot
- In case of a Tie in the election for the executive body reelection will be held for the Post
as decided by the returning officer.
- On the Election Day, the candidates will be given 10 minutes each to address the Quorum, as
official campaigning and will answer the questions raised by the members within the given
Returning officer will be the presiding authority of this session and his decision is final
- The Executive Body will institute one returning Officer and 2 assistant returning officers,
conduct the Election, 30 days before the election.
- Voting Right in the Election for the Executive Body
The Tourist Guides with the valid Identity card issued by the “India Tourism” Govt of India, who
fully paid members of the Federation, are eligible to cast a single vote for all the posts in
Article 8- The Executive Body
The Executive Body shall comprise a President, Vice President, Secretary, 2 Joint Secretaries
Treasurer shall be directly elected by the General Body to serve for a period of 2 years. The
Executive Body shall appoint committee Members (minimum 5). They members of the executive body
eligible for the election for 2 consecutive terms (4 years) after which they may contest for
only after an interval of 1 term (2 years).
- Function and duties of the Executive Body
The Executive Body shall be responsible for the day-to-day running of the organization and shall,
within the competence allotted to it, have the power to make decisions in order to further the
the Federation under Article 3 above. The Executive Body may also co-opt members to the Body if
necessary, such members having no voting rights in the meetings of the Body.
The Executive Body are empowered to make a recommendation at their “mid-term” meeting between
Conventions of any proposed increase in members subscriptions (all categories) for the following
biennial period commencing 1st April and for all members to be immediately informed.
Further duties inter alia, shall be:
- To decide on applications for membership and to recommend termination of membership where
- To present an annual budget;
- To meet at least once between Conventions of the General Body;
- To appoint Area Representatives for the Federation;
- To issue such publications as shall be appropriate on matters of concern to Tourist Guides
- Simple majority of the members of the Executive Body shall constitute a quorum for any meetings
Executive Body provided that the President or the Secretary is present.
- The Executive Body shall make its decisions by simple majority vote, except as provided by
- No one shall hold more than one office at the same time. No Federation officer shall be
Expenses, properly recorded, incurred in the execution of duties of the office shall be
- By unanimous vote of no confidence by other members, a member may be required to step down from
Executive Body. The circumstances of such no confidence vote must be clearly documented and may
for conduct that seriously damages the work and/or reputation of TGFSI or for dereliction of
an Executive Body Member. Failing which, matter shall be referred to the General Body’s decision
Article 9- Officers of the Executive Body (OFFICE BEARERS: RIGHTS AND
The functions of the President shall be:
- To Head the TGFSI and to preside over all meetings of the General Body and Executive Body.
- To implement the objectives of the Federation.
- To deal with all disciplinary matters arising in the TGFSI or in the Member Units as per rules
subject. This would be subject to ratification in the next Executive Body Meeting of the
- To ensure that the financial position is sound and no unauthorized expenditure is incurred.
- To ensure that various business meetings, as required under the constitution have been duly
- To be the final authority in the matter of appointment to posts in the TGFSI Secretariat and
Organizations. He may suspend, penalize remove or dismiss from service any employee of the TGFSI
THE VICE PRESIDENT
The Vice President shall perform the following functions:
- In the absence of the President, the Vice President nominated by the President shall preside
meetings of the General Body / Executive Council.
- In the event of the prolonged absence of the President, a vice president, will take over the
and responsibilities of the President during the period of absence.
THE Hon. SECRETARY
The functions of the Hon. Secretary are:
- To plan, manage Secretariat affairs, organizational activities and other general affairs
- To serve as member Secretary to the General Body and keep a record of all proceedings and
- To sign all instruments or contracts on behalf of the TGFSI / General Body, Executive Body,
- To be sued or to defend on behalf of the Federation
- To be competent to take emergency measures in matters, which are not adequately covered by the
provisions of the Constitution, Rules & Regulation: such measures shall be subject to latter
the Executive Body and subsequent approval of the General Body.
- Duties of the Secretary shall include taking minutes of all meetings of the Executive Body and
- To issue notice to all the members at least 21 days before the Annual General Body Meeting
- To convene the General Body and the Executive Body meeting.
- To inform all the members at least 30 days before any proposed amendments of constitution, which
come for discussion and amendment in the General Body
The Treasurer shall perform following functions:
- Shall have charge of the funds of the Federation and shall secure the deposit of the funds in
of the Federation.
- Shall present at the Annual General meeting of the General Body duly audited copies accounts
Balance Sheet for the previous financial year together with a General report surveying the
position of the Federation.
- Shall ensure the payment of all bills by Cheque as far as possible upon certification of the
the President / Secretary.
- The Treasurer and the finance Committee shall be responsible for the adoption of proper methods
accounting at the close of its year. He shall see that the books are examined and approved by
auditors appointed by the Federation.
- The Treasurer shall be responsible for all his financial transaction to the President/Secretary
General, and shall act in administrative matters according to the directive of the Secretary
- He shall have an imprest of Rs. 5000/= for day to day expenses.
- The funds shall be disbursed with the signature of any two of the three officers -Treasurer,
THE JOINT SECRETARIES
The Joint Secretaries shall perform following functions:
- Assist the Secretary General in all administrative affairs and perform duties assigned to them
Secretary General from time to time.
Article 10- Finance Committee
The Finance Inspection Committee shall be made up of four members nominated by the Executive Body and
they shall not be members of the Executive Body. Their duty shall be to inspect the finances of the
Federation. Their term of office shall be two years.
Article 11- Arbitration Committee
All unresolved disputes arising under the articles of this Constitution shall be decided by the
Arbitration Committee. The General Body shall appoint a standing Arbitration Panel of five
members of whom three will-with the approval of the interested parties-arbitrate in any unresolved
Article 12- Proposed Amendments to the Constitution by the
Any provision of this Constitution may be waived or changed in General Body by a quorum of over 50%
the membership and a majority of two thirds of those present and voting, provided that three months'
written notice has been given of such proposed changes to the Secretariat.
Article 13- Dissolution
- If the Federation is dissolved, the funds remaining after liquidation shall be donated to a
or charities as agreed by the Executive Body.
- The relevant authorities (Register of Societies) shall be informed in writing of the
the Federation and, in accordance with the societies Act, the last Executive Body shall gazette
Article 14- Other Matters
In matters not dealt with by this Constitution, reference shall be made to the Societies Act and
the constitution of India and as per the principles of Natural Justice.